CORONAVIRUS

• First of all, thanks (CHRISTINIE GIRTAIN) for the great data resource set concerning this virus. That is a using real world data to show how we interpret science in real time.

Someone sent me this youtube about the coronavirus.
    (

)

What do you think? As a science teacher I am always looking at my resources from a scientific standpoint. I want to know if they are valid and reliable sources. I asked my students to watch this and make a determination concerning validity of this source. This is a tough thing for our students to do. They often don't know what to even begin looking for when the see something on social media or in the news. Most thought it totally true. We take it apart. Are parts of it true? How can we know? Who is the author? Is he/she credible? How do you know this? When was this published? Is it recent? Are there other studies showcased with this paper/video that we can link to to see if those sites are credible? What do you know about the publisher or journal? Does it seem to be biased? Is the url credible? Should you put more credibility in a url that is a gov and edu instead of an org or com? And why? When considering accuracy, ask yourself the following questions:
    Has the source been edited or peer-reviewed?
    Has the author supplied a list of references for their work? Does the list of references include scholarly sources?
    Is the information provided verifiable? What does this source off compared to other sources?
    Is the language or tone opinion based or does it contain facts and statistics?
    Does the source include spelling or grammatical errors? Is the source logical, well organized, and professional in appearance?
    Is the information crowd sourced or vulnerable to changes by other authors or non-experts (e.g. Wikipedia or another public wiki)?
    I'm curious as to what yo think of this video!

• @Jeanine-Gelhaus I love this post Jeanine! Not only are you sharing a resource and how you use it, but asking for the input of others. Looking forward to seeing more posts like this one!

Do you have a decision tree or matrix your students use for determining credibility of a source? What kinds of discussion do you have regarding primary and secondary sources?

• What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Looks like your connection to Infiniscope was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.