Screencasting

• Hello Everyone,

Here are some screencasting resources and information for you to look at before the May 5th webinar.

What is Screencasting?
    Screencasting refers to digitally recording information on a computer screen, often with voiceover audio recordings to accompany the visuals. Screencasts are often created by recording audio while viewing a slideshow, like a PowerPoint or Google Slides Presentation, but it can also include providing audio instruction while showing students how to navigate a website or use a computer program. Additionally, tablets such as the iPad Pro and Surface Pro, and their advanced styluses, such as the Apple Pencil, can be used as a digital whiteboard allowing someone to draw out a concept while providing an audio recording of what is being shown.

Types of Screencasting Software:
    Make sure you have screen-casting software that allows you to voice over images. I tell students they can use any software as long as it can be saved as a .mp4 and embedded as a video in Canvas that everyone can see. *Some students have used apps on their phone to create screencasts. This is totally acceptable as long they can complete the assigment.

• Screencastify - this is a great choice because it is a plugin to Google Chrome. This means that it goes anywhere you use Google Chrome and everything is saved in your Google drive: https://www.screencastify.com/
    • Screencast-o-Matic - I have used this before but they recently changed their system so you don't get as much for the free version. https://screencast-o-matic.com/
    • Explain Everything - if you want to do everything on your phone then this is the app for you. https://explaineverything.com/

What I tell students:

• You can either create a PowerPoint presentation, Prezi, or use the images directly in your screen casting software. If you are really creative you can even use your phone to record. However, you need to be able to combine images and sound (your voice) to make your video and save it as .mp4. Be creative! Think about using animations, GIFs, sound, or other cool media to tell your story and complete the assignment.

• Be creative. You can voice over video by lowering the sound on the video while having it play in the screencast. You can have multiple images on a slide or an image and a video.

• Think about what you want to say. You can have a script. This is will help you pace the video and also help you determine how many images you will need.

• You should change to a new image every time you mention something new.

• list itemYou should use your cursor to point things out in your images, graphs, etc. Let us know what we are looking at or how to interpret a graph you are showing us.

• list itemMake sure your images are high resolution, not fuzzy, and fill the screen. If you have multiple images on one screen then make sure it is spatially pleasing with images large enough to see.

• Keep your video under 2 minutes! - It is important to time limit the assignment.

Here are examples created by a teacher:

• Filling in a diagram of the cell cycle:
    • Presentation on Cell Membrane Structure with voiceover and drawings:
    • Sheep Brain Dissection and Structure Identification:
    • Video instructions on how to complete an online lab activity:

Here are examples of student-created content:

• Plate Tectonics:
    • The Moon:

Here is a poster I did on Screencasting:
    Screencasting Poster for OE2019.jpg

Student Screencast Videos Poster.jpg image url)

• This is amazing! Excellent overview!

If anyone is interested in attending a webinar May 5th on this topic...

REGISTER HERE

More details on the webinar can be found in the Infiniscope Events.

• This was great. I appreciate all the information you all shared. Thanks.

• @Jessica-Swann! Thank you so much for the shout out and for including me on the Webinar! I had such a great time sharing my experiences. Here is a screenshot of the rubric I made for this assignment, in case anyone else wanted/needed it!

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 3.49.51 PM.png

• @Noelle-Luccioni This is GREAT! Let us know how the kids do on their screencasts!

• Here is the Screen Recording for MacBook Air that I've promised. This is the device that was available to me, but I believe QuickTime is available for all computers:

• Ahhh...super cool! In case people are curious, Noelle created a video walking you through the steps on using the screen recording feature of her computer to screencast. This is in follow up to the webinar and more detailed questions on HOW to do some of these things. Anyone is free to share their own videos "how-tos." We'd love to see them!

• Flipgrid has some awesome videos for Educators who are just starting out with screencasting using their tool. They are located on this page. The tutorials review how you can record your screen with either video or PowerPoint showing.

• @Noelle-Luccioni @Sian-Proctor

The video player plugin I installed requires the YouTube watch link instead of the share link. Can you update these video links in these posts?

Looks like your connection to Infiniscope was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.