Dino Doom Implementation Strategies

• Have you used Dino Doom in your classroom? Tell us what implementation strategies you've used. Post your questions and ideas here!

• @Infiniscope-Team
    I used Dino Doom with my 10th grade Biology class (19 students) and 12th grade Environmental Science classes (104 students). I didn't do a lead in, just treated it as a flipped lesson. I did need to step in at times when they had questions.
    It does issue a grade at the end of the activity. It is out of something close to 540 points (however one student showed it out of over 600 points, so I am not positive on the total points possible and why some were different when completing 100% of the activity). If you wanted to issue a grade based on correctness, I would suggest a scale which fairly represents each range of scores. I used 100% completion as my grading method.
    If you were to have a lesson before, some suggestions would be the KT event...which is mostly referred to as the asteroid or meteor impact I beleive, but the Iridium left behind in the rock layers is very central to the activity. One of my favorite aspects about the activity is the "tedious work" which students are required to do to be able to advance through the activity in many segments. It is this which I refer to as "working like a real scientist" would work. A lot of science is tedious and repetitive until the breakthrough moment occurs. The examination of rock layers with the different tools provided the students with a challenge and perhaps the section with took most students the longest to proceed through was toward the end as they were taking measurements of meteor impacts from aerial imagery.

Other lesson ideas would be in chemistry and how the presence of Ir in significantly higher quantities is very reliable (or irrefutable) evidence of a meteor or asteroid striking the earth with global impact/effects. I think a good lesson (or mini-lesson) dealing with science as inquiry and how the work scientist do can be very exciting and rewarding work, but it so often takes time and patience to get the results.
    Another lesson could connect to math and measurements, and could give the students insight/assistance in how to perform the measurements of the aerial imagery of the impact sites/craters or remnants of craters. (Teaching Environmental Science I do not have a lot of experience with the more in depth geological side, so please forgive any inaccuracies in my descriptions!)

Please ask if you have any questions about DinoDoom and I will be more than glad to try and answer them.

-John

• @John-Dupuis This is great John! Thanks so much for sharing your experience on this!

• So I finally finished testing Dino Doom. Due to some technical problems with our student laptops, we completed the lesson in January. Sorry it's taken so long to write about the experience, just a bit busy.
    My two classes that worked on this lesson were 10th graders, Honors and Regular. The first thing I would suggest to anyone doing this lesson, go over Geological History first, it helps the students understand the background to the lesson. Another suggestion would be to do the lesson in segments. It ended up being a bit long for my students. Next time I intend on splitting the lesson into segments and going over each segment. I would add a post assessment at the end of section, I think this would be helpful for keeping the students on task. Since I use OneNote in my class I would create a whole section for them to use during the lesson. My Honors students did a little bit better on it then my regular students. I think it was because they had be monitored more to remain on task.
    I would go over the Volume of Sphere, this is a section that students need to do in the lesson to figure out the density of an asteroid. Parts of the Math were difficult for some of my students. This leads me to another suggestion, do the lesson yourself, I would think about the areas your students might have difficulties with and address them as they go along. I did this and it helped in with any questions that occurred during the lesson. It also helped with any technical problems the students experienced. The content itself is really good and the students enjoyed going to different sites for information. I did like they way the students could use tools to investigate areas. The interactivity of the lesson was awesome. I liked how the lesson went through all areas of science; biology, earth and even a little chemistry.
    I liked how the lesson reviewed relative age dating, we go through this in class, it was great review section for them. It was also great because later in the lesson they use Iridium levels for dating. This was a great lead in to our section in class on relative and absolute dating. This is where the chemistry came in.
    Have to thank @John-Dupuis for all his suggestions, they were great. I do agree with him this really does show the students how a "real" scientist works.
    Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks

Looks like your connection to Infiniscope was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.