Dino Doom Implementation Strategies

• Have you used Dino Doom in your classroom? Tell us what implementation strategies you've used. Post your questions and ideas here!

• @Infiniscope-Team
    I used Dino Doom with my 10th grade Biology class (19 students) and 12th grade Environmental Science classes (104 students). I didn't do a lead in, just treated it as a flipped lesson. I did need to step in at times when they had questions.
    It does issue a grade at the end of the activity. It is out of something close to 540 points (however one student showed it out of over 600 points, so I am not positive on the total points possible and why some were different when completing 100% of the activity). If you wanted to issue a grade based on correctness, I would suggest a scale which fairly represents each range of scores. I used 100% completion as my grading method.
    If you were to have a lesson before, some suggestions would be the KT event...which is mostly referred to as the asteroid or meteor impact I beleive, but the Iridium left behind in the rock layers is very central to the activity. One of my favorite aspects about the activity is the "tedious work" which students are required to do to be able to advance through the activity in many segments. It is this which I refer to as "working like a real scientist" would work. A lot of science is tedious and repetitive until the breakthrough moment occurs. The examination of rock layers with the different tools provided the students with a challenge and perhaps the section with took most students the longest to proceed through was toward the end as they were taking measurements of meteor impacts from aerial imagery.

Other lesson ideas would be in chemistry and how the presence of Ir in significantly higher quantities is very reliable (or irrefutable) evidence of a meteor or asteroid striking the earth with global impact/effects. I think a good lesson (or mini-lesson) dealing with science as inquiry and how the work scientist do can be very exciting and rewarding work, but it so often takes time and patience to get the results.
    Another lesson could connect to math and measurements, and could give the students insight/assistance in how to perform the measurements of the aerial imagery of the impact sites/craters or remnants of craters. (Teaching Environmental Science I do not have a lot of experience with the more in depth geological side, so please forgive any inaccuracies in my descriptions!)

Please ask if you have any questions about DinoDoom and I will be more than glad to try and answer them.

-John

• @John-Dupuis This is great John! Thanks so much for sharing your experience on this!

Looks like your connection to Infiniscope was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.