Universe of Stories - Summer Reading

• What are your plans for Universe of Stories this summer?

• What is Universe of Stories?

• @Natasha-Rabinowitz It's part of the Collaborative Summer Reading program. They define the topics for each year to determine summer programming in local libraries that choose to participate. You can learn more here: https://www.cslpreads.org/programs/future-programs/

• It would be great if authors are planning NOW for this, to have their books published in time for the Summer Reading program. There are so many YA books that are set in space, but to have some that are more science-based would be perfect! Get kids jazzed about space exploration.

• Universe of stories is a good way to create awareness on universe to the little kids. How about having kids paint murals in library about the stories they hear about Universe? I wish they are non-fiction books. I am wondering if libraries could host a star gazing night. Also, I am thinking if libraries can allocate a section of a wall that speaks about the universe. Sections of the story book that are interesting could be posted on the wall/display area. Or probably post a curious question asked by some kid and provide recommendations of books that could be helpful in finding out the response.

• During the summer, most public libraries have a program called the summer reading club, or some variation thereof. It is not actually a club. Depending on the size and staffing of the library, there could be from a few programs through the 8 or so weeks of summer break, to 4-5 programs each week of the summer. The idea is that most, if not all, of the programs have something to do with the theme for that year. Each year there is a different theme. In my library system, the kids who participate get prizes for their independent reading, and the programs are more STEAM related. For example, I will have a stomp rocket program this summer. I will also have a program where we use string to create a scale model of the solar system, including Ultima Thule, of course. At some point, I will have the kids make, and eat ¨astronaut ice cream,¨ which is really instant pudding in a ziplock bag, but tasty and fun all the same. All of my programs will have a space theme of some sort. I hope this helps explain a little bit.

• My local library has a weekly book selection and I will be providing hands-on activities related to the Moon on Thursday each week for 4th through 6th graders. I'm looking for suggestions on activities in addition to the Marvel Moon resources found here: https://www.lpi.usra.edu/education/explore/marvelMoon/.

• @Randi-Neff Hello! Sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun! Earlier this week I had kids act out being the sun (with a flashlight), the Earth, and the moon, and act out lunar and solar eclipses. When they actually played the parts of the celestial bodies and saw how the shadows worked, it helped them understand what eclipses are. I think Marvel Moon has this activity, but creating the phases of the moon with cookies is always popular. (Make sure you have plenty of cookies on hand. Some folks get really enthusiastic, and keep creating tiny crescent moons. I'm fairly certain it's not entirely accidental. 🙂 ) Creating craters is a fun activity. Making sure your sediment layers have really good color differentiation makes it more fun. A few years ago, I provided all manner of recyclables, found objects, and craft supplies, and had participants create lunar rovers and a moon colony. They had a great time with that. If the book/story is a myth about the face of the moon (man in the moon, Hina and her tapa, a rabbit, an old woman and her stew pot, etc), participants could draw their own pictures of what the face of the moon looks like and create their own myths to explain it.

Looks like your connection to Infiniscope was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.